WARMING CENTER AVAILABLE
Update: Sunday, April 15 8:30 p.m., the Summit Warming Center will be closing at 9 p.m., due to lack of participation.
Sunday, April 15, 7 p.m., Canton's Summit on the Park is manning a warming center until 11:00 p.m., this evening. The building will re-open again tomorrow during regular business hours.
The American Red Cross is supporting an ADA compliant shelter with overnight accommodations for those who may need it in conjunction with the City of Dearborn Heights at the Berwyn Senior Recreation Center, 2615 Richardson Street, Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
DTE STORM UPDATE: 310,00 Customers Impacted
More than 310,000 of our electric customers have been impacted by an ice storm that hit Southeast Michigan early Sunday. Additional outages are expected as winds and freezing rain continue throughout the evening.
DTE has restored power to more than 30,000 customers since the start of the storm, and our crews will continue to work around the clock to safely restore all customers.
Additional info and safety tips:
- The dangerous road conditions and ongoing weather could prolong outages for some customers.
- The weight of the ice coupled with the wind has caused many wires to come down. We have over 1,000 wires down, in the City of Detroit and throughout Wayne County. We have crews out securing these wires with yellow safety tape to ensure public safety. Please do not cross the yellow tape.
- Be very cautious when outside. If you see a downed wire, stay at least 20 feet away. Do not walk over or drive over it in your car. Assume that it is live and stay away.
- If you're using a generator, please make sure it is outside of your home and away from windows and ventilation to avoid the buildup of carbon monoxide in your home.
- We have over 1,000 employees working on this storm and have requested additional assistance from other electric companies through mutual aid.
- We expect to have restoration estimates this evening, and will keep you updated on our progress.
DTE is experiencing some technical difficulties with their outage maps via their web page; however, up to date outage information can be accessed via the DTE energy application via your mobile device.
Receive Community Alerts from Canton Public Safety Department
Canton is committed to the dissemination of timely information to the community. As an informed citizen you can prepare, act or react accordingly oftentimes as the eyes and ears of the department. Information on emergencies or relevant criminal activity will be relayed through the following media:
- Notify Me
Sign up and receive Emergency Alerts by email or SMS text, from Canton Public Safety (options available to receive information from additional Canton departments).
Canton Public Safety has a Facebook page to provide information to the public on crime and weather alerts, road closures and news release information. Find us on Facebook under Canton Public Safety Department.
Canton Public Safety utilizes Nixle as a free way to provide timely information to subscribers via email or text message. Receive notifications that include crime and weather alerts, traffic hazards, etc.
Follow us on Twitter @Canton PSD to receive free messages from the Canton Public Safety Department.
- There are no alerts at this time.